Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Toddle Along Tuesday: Mommy Fail



Today's TAT post is about Mommy Fail, mommy brain or something stupid you've done since becoming a mommy.  I'm linking up with Mama G over at Growing Up Geeky so please connect and share your story too!

This is a post I never thought I'd write.

I never thought I would fall into this category of parent.

I've officially been inducted into the 'Parents of a Child Who Has Fallen Off of the Bed' Hall of Shame.

You see, it all started on our recent trip to Newport.  It was Monday morning and we were packing our bags and checking out of the hotel to head over to the aquarium.  We had just eaten breakfast and had nearly everything packed.  The only thing left to pack up was the Pack n Play we brought with us along with Addie's diaper bag.  I sat Addie on the bed while I packed the diaper bag and Rick broke down the Pack n Play.  I turned around for 5 seconds, literally 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi, 3 Mississippi, 4 Mississippi, 5 Mississippi, and just as I had turned back I saw her falling.  She hit the ground hard, I snatched her up and started to cuddle her.  No use, the girl screamed her little lungs out for 5 minutes.  I don't think I have to count Mississippi's here, but it was a long time.  Full on tears.  After she finally settled down I noticed her face was starting to turn red and I feared bruising.  Thankfully she only fell about a foot and a half.  I cried and cried and cried.  I felt awful all day and after closely monitoring her throughout the day, she was fine.

Notice the red mark?

What I can say about this experience is this.  It happens to us all.  At one point or another in our children's lives, they will fall from the bed or changing table.  Or take a tumble when we should be watching but turn our backs for a moment.  What we can do is think twice every time we think they'll be okay for 5 seconds.  I've learned 5 seconds is much longer than it seems.  It's long enough for her to boogie over to the side of the bed and take a daring leap to the floor.  What we can also do is not place blame on the spouse, it was an accident.  Truly you didn't think I meant for the child whom I carried for nearly 10 months inside of me and have developed such a deep bond with, I've intended to harm.  She's still a happy little camper who smiles at me daily.


What is your mommy fail?  Have you had your child take a tumble from the bed?

4 comments:

  1. Fortunately that has never happened to us... I can't even imagine! But my son did manage to put something in his mouth and choke on it while I turned around for just a second... It was so scary! I found you through TAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! I'm super paranoid about this and it's never happened, but it certainly almost has!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, I have 3 kids! Mommy fails are inevitable. It is called being human. We have had smashed fingers in doors, falling off beds,falling down stairs...I could go on and on. Don't feel bad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeek! Sorry that happened, Momma. I think it has happened to most of us, you're not alone :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...