Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My Advice to Mommies-to-be

If you've been pregnant you've already heard enough advice from people you know and even people you don't.  As soon as people found out I was pregnant they had an opinion they wanted to share.  It was usually from an older woman who thought she knew all just because she had children 30 years ago. I had oftentimes wanted to say thanks for the information but really, please keep your opinion to yourself.  What you thought was the best way to raise your children may not be the best for me.  Especially when I see what your children grew up to be.  :)

Do Your Research.  You have 9 months of planning for this baby so spend the time doing research and making decisions on what you feel is best for you, your baby, and your family.  If you want to cloth diaper, do it.  This was one thing I wanted to do for Addie and our family however Rick wasn't on board.  It's one thing I wish I would have done anyway, they've come a long way since the days I was cloth diapered.

Be Open Minded.  I will throw my opinion in for just a moment so do with it what you want.  I'm a big advocate in breastfeeding.  It's best for your baby and is helpful to you as your body returns to a somewhat normal state.  I was fortunate in that Addie latched immediately after birth, my milk came in quickly, and we had great lactation consultants to help out while in the hospital.  There are days those first few weeks where I didn't think we'd make it.  It's not easy waking up every 3 hours to feed a hungry baby when you're completely exhausted as well.  Knowing you're the only person who can feed your child which is hard when your spouse is sawing logs in the room next to you.  Keep at the breastfeeding even if you feel like stopping.  After the first 3-4 weeks it gets much better.  Addie is still nursing and I still enjoy it.

Go With Your Gut.  The best thing you can do for your own sanity is go with your gut.  Be open to listening to opinions of others because occasionally someone may actually surprise you.  If you feel strongly about a decision stick with it.  You are your child's mother and his/her best advocate.  The most amazing thing I learned while roughing it through those first three months was also the most basic.  You are responsible for this child's life.  While it's an amazing feeling that you have so much responsibility it is also a very scary  thing.  Take one day at a time and enjoy every minute.

4 comments:

  1. "Go with your gut!" Absolutely! Great advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breastfeeding is great unless your baby is a preemie and your milk never comes in! I had to pump and I hated it! OUCH. So I quit, went to formula and never looked back. Natalie is healthy as can be and I don't regret it at all! =)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...