Friday, January 20, 2012

It's Almost Here

A year ago today, I was work sitting at my desk like it was any other day.  I was actually sitting on one of those exercise balls attempting to “open” things up.  My due date was January 31st and I knew I would probably deliver in February, like February 11th or something ridiculous.  You know, at 42 weeks and miserable. 

The holidays are typically pretty slow at work so I had spent the past couple weeks getting organized for the person who would be taking over my work while on leave.  I was probably so bored at this point that I was reorganizing documents in my files from 3 years ago.  I was bored out of my mind.

At this point, I had been switched to Heparin to thin my blood.  I told you about our battle to get pregnant and the medication I had to take throughout my pregnancy in order to maintain the pregnancy.  I also mentioned why I was switched from Lovenox to Heparin, but to summarize; Lovenox takes 24 hours to pass through your system whereas Heparin takes 12 hours.  Since the chances of going into labor increase at the 36 week mark I was switched to Heparin just in case.  I was administering the Heparin injections twice daily, 8 am and 8 pm.  In the event I went into labor the Heparin would more than likely be out of my system if/when I decided for an epidural.  If labor progressed quickly, there is another medication which would reverse the effects of Heparin.

Anyway, I’m getting way off topic here.  So at this time last year I was bouncing on my ball at work, watching the snow fall. We were about to get blasted by a snow storm.  It was expected to be a difficult drive home that evening and I had a weekly OB appointment at 3 that afternoon.  I called the office to reschedule the appointment earlier in the afternoon so I could head home after to miss the traffic/snowstorm. 

Interestingly enough, I went to the restroom just before lunch and noticed I was leaking every time I stood up.  Now, I knew I hadn’t just peed myself so it could only be one other thing.  My water broke! 

I always imagined if my water did break it would be big like in the movies.  Nope, a steady slow leak for hours.  It was an interesting walk to my car and a slow ride home in the snow.  I surprised Rick when I walked into the house.  The conversation went something like this:

Rick:  I thought your appointment was this afternoon.

Me:  It was, but my water broke in the bathroom at work so I they told me to go to the hospital.

Rick:  It did?!

Me:  Yes, so we need to get our bags and head to the hospital.

At this point, Rick begins frantically running around the house trying to get the bags and those last minute items you can’t pack until it’s time.  It was a pretty funny scene, as usual, I was the calm one and he’s the one panicking. 



In less than 24 hours we would be meeting our sweet baby girl.

2 comments:

  1. It's strange how fast the first year goes by, and yet when you are in the middle of the newborn phase and getting use to everything the time seems to go so slow. Congratulations! I too had to be on blood thinners during 2 of my pregnancies, not the most fun I had but I do have my beautiful children!! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...