Thursday, September 22, 2011

Apple Picking & Recipe Bonus

You’ll remember from this post how much we love our local fruit farm. They have several ‘U-Pick’ opportunities throughout the year (apples, pears, blackberries, pumpkins, etc) so when I receive the newsletter from the farm letting me know several apple varieties were ready to be harvested I told Rick we were making a trip.
Addie's ready to go
We packed up Addie and the Ergo, picked up Rick’s brother Joey and his fiancé Loralei and headed out to the farm. This weekend Jonathan and McIntosh apples were ready to pick. We each grabbed our bags and headed down the orchards rows to complete our mission, find the biggest apple we could find. I strapped Addie on me in the Ergo and the two of us lugged around together at our own pace.
Orchard Alley

Rick looking for the largest apple

Addie & me




We walked away with 20 pounds worth of apples.


We went home after a trip to the Farmers Market and I immediately whipped together an apple crisp for a party later that evening.  Also, because I wanted to make sure Addie had the opportunity to taste the yummy apples, I decided to make some applesauce that is both parent and kid friendly (no sugar added).  I've included both recipes for you to try out and, as always, both are so simple to make.

Apple Crisp (Too excited to snap a pic) 
6 cups apples sliced thin
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp butter, melted

Crisp Ingredients
3/4 c sugar
1/2 c flour
1/3 cup butter, softened

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Combine first set of ingredients and pour into a greased 8" pan/baking dish.   In a mixing bowl, stir second set of ingredients until crumbly.  Pour over apple mixture and bake for 45 minutes.  Note:  If you have really juicy apples you may want to add a couple tablespoons of flour to the apple mixture.


Applesauce
4 apples, peeled, cored and diced
Cinnamon to your preference

Toss diced apples into crock-pot.  Add desired cinnamon and cook for 2 hours on high in crock-pot.  Stir periodically.

I hope you enjoyed our experience and I hope you all go apple picking at least once.  It might just become a tradition and an opportunity to bake!

Don't forget about our giveaway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...