Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Occupations

I've been blogging for over a year now and I don't think I've ever disclosed what I do for a living.  I work in Human Resources in the Talent Acquisition function.  There's more to HR than hiring and firing which is what most people think its all about.  Talent Acquisition, Talent Management, Compensation, Benefits, Advice & Counsel, etc.  The list goes on and on.  Is it my dream job?  No, not by a long shot but I'm happy where I am and it pays the bills.

As I grew up I first wanted to be a dentist.  How crazy some of you may be thinking but I've always enjoyed going to the dentist.  I decided to pass on dental school as it's just as long as any medical doctor program.  I didn't mind school but I also didn't want to be in school forever.

I then changed my career path to elementary education.  I've always enjoyed kids and school.  When we were younger we had a school style chalkboard the spanned the wall of a room in our finished basement.  I used to make my brother and sister sit in school style chairs and pretend they were my students.  This was my first major in college but I changed pretty early when I thought about the money teachers make.  I just couldn't do it.

Next I changed my major to accounting.  And then I quickly changed to business focusing in HR.  What was I thinking?  I thought because I really enjoy math that I would enjoy accounting.  Nope, not at all.  Hated it.

Which lead me to study business in one of the top business schools in the country at The Ohio State University where I later earned my Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a specialization in Human Resources.

None of these were ever really my dream job.  Would I enjoy being a dentist without the schooling or being a teach with unlimited pay, of course.  My dream job would be to open a pastry bakery, or plan events, or be a millionaire and travel the world.  Yeah, the millionaire thing sounds really good.  The pastry bakery may be a retirement job.

What is your dream job?  Tell us about it over at Toddle Along Tuesday hosted by Mama G.

-stephanie

6 comments:

  1. I loved going to the dentist too! I have always wondered if working in an office would be for me... but I love my job to much to find out! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you changed your mind about as many times as I did ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A millionare sounds awesome :) I would love to travel...even more so if someone paid me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol I have a friend in dental school and I've seen some of the pictures from her textbooks and I'm like ohhhh my goodness. She loves it though. I don't understand you folks, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Dad always wanted me to be a dentist because it's one of those known-to-be 'high paying' jobs. I think I'd rather be poor! LOL! Although I was also one of those wierd people who didn't hate the dentist - not to say I ENJOYED it, but it never bothered me like it seems to bother most people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I'm with you on the pastry bakery!! Count me in ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...