Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Put-In-Bay Island Mini Vacation

Monday I mentioned that Rick and I were out of town this weekend and my parents watched Addie for us.  It was the first time both Rick & I have been out of town at the same time overnight.  Surprisingly she's done really well.  My Addie is having some serious separation anxiety so I had to strategically plan my exit during nap time.  We were headed out for a joint bachelor/bachelorette party on an island.  


An island she says?  Yes she did.  In case some of you don't know, Ohio does sit next to a body of water.  It's no ocean but it is a nice lake.  Lake Erie is about a 2 hour drive north of Columbus and is a nice little get away when you need a break.


We were headed to Put In Bay island  which is about a 15 minute ferry ride from the mainland.


It was stifling out Saturday even right next to the water there was no breeze flowing.  The plan was to hang eat lunch, head to the local winery, go out to the bars, and hang out at our campsite.


Here's some of my favorites, Katie & Nick, at the winery we stopped at.  Heineman's Winery is such a fun place to hang out and drink a bottle (or ten) of wine.


Here's the groom Joey who is my brother in law, Rick's brother.


Rick's other brother Zack was with us as well.


Another friend, Lindsey, is getting married in just a couple weeks.  We recently went out for her bachelorette party about a month ago.  You may remember my tasty Raspberry Bellini Martini post a couple weeks back at one of the bars we stopped at.


Rick with Mike (Lindsey's fiance) chatting over a dixie cup of wine.  Class-y.


Nick and me.  Please excuse me, it was so hot, I was sweating terribly and throwing back the wine.


The bachelorette on the right with her sister.


I need Katie's tan.


So many bottle of wine on that table.  I drank way too much and didn't make out that night.  I made it to about 9pm before I was out for good.

Really cool thing I didn't know prior to this trip is that Heineman's Winery sits over the world's largest geode called Crystal Cave.  The cave was discovered by workers back in 1897 while digging a well for the winery.  


Here's the steep walk down into the caves.








This is was the original entrance into the cave.  It's just above the bottom of the steps there today.

We also got to go a quick tour of the production area as well.



This is all of the wines Heineman's makes, right around 20.  Most are produced from grapes on the island, the others have grapes grown within a 10 mile radius of the island.  Great wine, great price. 

We did stay at the Catawba Island State Park however I didn't get any good pictures because I was toast after the winery and the next morning we were scrambling to pack up before a storm rolled in.  The state park was the previous Victory Hotel which was the largest summer resort in America but burnt down in 1919. Put-In-Bay has lots of great history to it with the grape growing, Perry's Monument built to commemorate a key victory during the War of 1812.

Addie did really well which was a relief.  I spent a lot of my weekend thinking about her and worrying that she was crying the entire time.  Good to know she doesn't miss me too much when I'm gone.

-stephanie

Don't forget to check out our giveaway going on now for the Bye Bye Bacteria Antimicrobial Crib Sheet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...