Thursday, May 24, 2012

Tasty Thursday: Crock Pot Pulled Pork

My husband does the grocery shopping in our house, not because he likes it or because I hate it.  He's a bargain hunter and actually spends time in each aisle researching if it's a better deal to buy toilet paper in bulk.  I can't stand it, it takes forever and I'm a speed shopper so I let him do it himself.  So Sunday he came in with his load of groceries which included a 4lb pork shoulder and I thought, what can I do with that.  So I found a great recipe over on the food network website and it was the most amazing pulled pork I've ever had.


Ingredients
4lb pork shoulder
2 large onions
1 cup gingerale
1-18oz bottle of barbecue sauce

How to Make it
Slice one onion and place into crock pot.  Put in the pork shoulder and add remaining sliced onion to top of meat.  Pour the gingerale in and cook for 12 hours on low. Remove meat, strain and save the onions, discard all liquid.  With two forks, shred the meat and discard any remaining fat, bones or skin.  Return the meat and onions back to the crock pot and add barbecue sauce.  Cook another 4-6 hours on low.  Note:  Cooking times will vary depending on your crock pot.  Make sure to check as you approach the 10 hour mark and see what need to be adjusted.  

This freezes well so would be a great idea for preparing for the arrival of a new baby or any other event you would want to prepare ahead of time.  This recipe makes approximately 10 good size sandwiches.

-stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...