Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Pizza for Breakfast

You know those Saturday mornings when you want something hearty for breakfast but you're really tired of scrambled eggs & toast or pancakes?  I had that moment a couple Saturday's ago.  I had some sausage links in the fridge that needed cooked and  there are always eggs and cheese in our house so that was my starting point.  Again, I wanted something different so I started thinking out of the box...well in the box I suppose because I also had a box of Jiffy pizza crust.  That's where my breakfast pizza was born.



I had my crust, and a lot of toppings but I did't have a sauce and then I took a step back and thought, "sure you do, you make a pretty good sausage gravy".  So that's what I did.

Ingredients
1 box Jiffy pizza crust
Shredded cheddar cheese
6 scrambled eggs
Sausage links or crumbles
White gravy (recipe below)
Any other toppings you'd like (ie. I should have put hash browns on this bad boy too)

Make your pizza crust just as the box instructs you.  Place it in the oven to precook the crust while you're making your eggs, sausage and gravy.  You'll want to make sure the crust is nearly fully cooked since you won't put it back in for long once assembled.

Once all of your toppings are ready you can assemble your pizza.  I poured some gravy down first, layered with eggs, add any of your favorite toppings, little more gravy if needed then your shredded cheese.  Bake off for another 5 or so minutes.

White gravy recipe
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups milk

Melt butter on medium high heat then add flour and make a roux, continuously stirring.  Once fully incorporated, add your milk slowly and whisk together.  I like to add my milk a little at a time and make sure you break down the roux so it incorporates and starts to become a thick gravy.  If you add the milk too quickly the roux won't incorporate and instead you'll have chunks of buttery flour (yuck!).  Once all milk has been added, continue to heat of medium to medium high heat as the gravy bubbles.  Continue stirring like crazy because you don't want to burn the milk.  After 5 minutes, turn the heat off and add your sausage.

It's such a nice alternative and so much fun to eat for breakfast.  Little messy but so yummy!

-stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...