Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Pesto Tortellini with Roasted Tomato

Monday was our first nice day of 2014.  At least nice enough that I was willing to venture out during my lunch break.  I made my way to Trader Joe's because I could get lost in that s tore for a solid hour without realizing it.  It was lunch and I was feeling hungry so it was probably a bad idea to be a grocery store but I did it anyway. What I found was this.  Cheese tortellini.  I knew dinner was done the minute I laid eyes on those cheese filled pasta circles.


I didn't want anything very heavy for dinner so instead of making a red sauce or even worse, a heavy alfredo, I went with a light pesto olive oil coating.  Then I thought, let's kick it up a notch (a la Emeril) so I roasted some tomatoes.

Ingredients
Cheese Tortellini
Pesto packet - the instant kind where you add oil & water
Tomatoes
Garlic
Oil
Salt & Pepper
Mozzarella

Directions
Cook your tortellini as suggested on the package.  While your tortellini is cooking, heat up some oil and about a tablespoon of garlic.  While the oil is heating, start mixing up your pesto packet.  By the time your pesto has been assembled you can keep it cooking on low and focus on the tomatoes.  Slice the tomatoes in half length wise and put cut side down into warm oil.  Roast for about 3-5 minutes over medium heat.  Flip and cook other side for another 3-5 minutes.  Flip back over and add salt, pepper and a little mozzarella if desired.  Toss pesto sauce in with cooked tortellini, top with roasted tomato and enjoy!

-stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...