Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Easiest Baby Food to Make Yourself – Pumpkin


One of the items we picked up at our recent Farmers Market trip was a pie pumpkin.  These pumpkins are meant for eating whereas the others are meant for carving!  As soon as I spotted the little guy I knew I want him for Adalyn.   


She’s yet to eat pumpkin and I was in such the autumn mood.  So when we got home I began my preparation.  Here’s how you make your own pumpkin baby food:

Step 1:  Cut top off of pumpkin. Just like you do at Halloween.
Step 2:  Cut the pumpkin in half.  Remove the seeds and guts.  (note: if you like pumpkin seeds this is where you would save those seeds for roasting)
Step 3:  Cut the halves into strips about 3 inches wide.  Place them face down in a pan.
Step 4:  Fill the pan about an inch full of water.
Step 5:  Bake in 400 degree oven for about 40 minutes.
Step 6:  Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. 
Step 7:  Use a pair of rubber tongs and pick up each slice over another bowl.  The skin should fall right off the good stuff.  Do this for each piece.
Step 8:  Use a spoon to mix around in the bowl.  I didn’t need to use any of the water left in the roasting pan because the pumpkin had enough but you could always add this to yours.


 At this point it’s ready for baby to eat.  Since Adalyn has had cinnamon and seems to enjoy it, I added a good amount to the mix.  You can freeze or refrigerate the mix and you can use for yourself for cooking or baking.  The pumpkin cost me $2 and I was able to make over 30 ounces of pumpkin so on top of being very easy to make it’s also incredibly inexpensive.  Don’t be intimidated!  

I used some of the leftover for my knock off version of Starbucks’ Pumpkin Spiced Latte.  I cannot wait for Autumn!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...